Football 3 years ago

Victory end Adelaide's Cup defence

  • Victory end Adelaide's Cup defence

FFA Cup holders Adelaide United have seen their reign ended as Melbourne Victory eased to a 3-1 win at AAMI Park, though their win was soured by a potentially serious knee injury to club icon Archie Thompson.

Adelaide rarely looked like ending their four-year winless run in Melbourne, with the A-League champions easing to a 2-0 halftime advantage thanks to goals from Gui Finkler and Kosta Barbarouses.

The Reds were fortunate not to be reduced to ten men early on as Osama Malik scythed down Fahid Ben Khalfallah on the edge of the penalty area.

You might also like

However, the Victory were immediately rewarded as Finkler curled a textbook free-kick into the top corner of the goal.

With Socceroos World Cup midfielder Oliver Bozanic impressing on his debut, it was no surprise that the home side extended their lead moments before the break as Barbarouses finished at the far post with Ben Khalfallah providing the assist.

Protecting a proud record in cup competitions, Adelaide fought back after the interval creating several half-chances and briefly drew within a goal of their rivals as Marcelo Carrusca scored with a penalty.

However, it took just four minutes for the two-goal margin to be restored as Besart Berisha also netted from the penalty spot.

Former Socceroo forward Thompson, who won the penalty scored by Berisha, was felled by an awkward Michael Marrone challenge during added time and now faces an anxious wait after being stretched from the pitch clutching his knee.

Meanwhile, Hume City came from behind to defeat Oakleigh Cannons 3-2 in extra time to continue their fairytale run at home.

Midfielder Marcus Schroen poked home from close range with just three minutes left on the clock, as Hume became only the second semi-professional side to reach the semi-finals.

Former Melbourne Victory striker Theo Markelis netted a brace for Hume, with the second coming just six minutes from the end to force extra time.

Sean Rooney and Dean Piemonte twice put Oakleigh ahead with the former scoring in just the third minute amid freezing conditions in Melbourne's northern suburbs.

0 0
please wait...